View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #57
ctandc

Re: Here We Go - 65 C10 LWB - For the Kid

Okay next step looks to be going through the engine. Right now I’m cleaning it up the best I can, without making a huge mess in the garage.

Last night, amidst trying to organize the shop, boxing up motorcycle gear (that I’ve sold)for shipping and just trying to make sense of the mess in the garage, I was able to work on the engine for a bit.

I’ve got the majority of the LH side clean. So I removed the fan, the water pump pulley (added it to the parts soak tank) and the alternator.

After scrubbing, spraying, rinsing (repeat) on the front of the engine, I’m still amazed at the amount of crap that accumulates on an engine over 46+ years. At one point I thought the corner of the oil pan looked clean, until I clipped a piece of it withj a scraper and what appeared to be solid metal, was actual grime. It moved. So I popped the scraper under and a complete molded piece of dirt and grime plopped down into the drain bucket.

Next up is removing the harmonic balancer. I’ve got a removal tool around the shop somewhere, just have to find where I put it (so I wouldn’t have trouble finding it again – of course).

I figure even without a threaded crankshaft snout, I should be able to screw the three puller bolts into the hold on the balancer itself and use the big screw to get it off. That seems to be what the ’63 Shop manual is showing.

While I’m at I want to mock up some kind of simple “tool” to bolt onto the three available bolt holes in the balancer, so that I easily rotate the engine by hand during teardown and reassembly, since again, there is not balancer bolt.

I’m thinking a simple piece of metal, bolted into those three holes, with a square hole cut into the metal to allow a ½” drive ratchet to turn the engine over.

I’m also going to rob the complete front end off the ’79 Camaro w/ 250 6cyl at the local pick-a-part. Here’s hoping it’s still there tomorrow morning. Right now I plan on grabbing:

- Exhaust manifold
- Intake manifold
- Any needed linkage / brackets for setting up my throttle linkage / TH350 kickdown (I’m replacing the 3 speed)
- Harmonic Balancer (mainly for reference, I might spring for a new one – we’ll what the yard wants for it. If it’s too much, I’ll take pics and measurements and order a new one. I found a new one for under $60).
- Timing cover and tab (It seems the location of this may have moved around over the years in these engines, and this would be an easy AND CHEAP way to make sure mine is right).
- Engine lift points
- Any other engine mounted brackets including for the alternator (I plan on upgrading to an internally regulated alternator as well)

Right now I plan on dropping the pan and checking bearing (rod and main) condition and clearances (with plastigauge). If these meet specs, then I’ll move on to removing the cylinder head.

If they don’t, the truck might be getting an unplanned small block Chevrolet swap (would love to keep the 230, but I can screw together a rebuilt, mild 350 for less than a stock rebuild on a 230).

I plan on cleaning up the valves myself as well as cleaning up the combustion chambers, adding new valve seals etc.

I am considering dropping the head off at a machine shop and having it magnafluxed (for cracks), cleaned and possible decked a bit – to bump the compression up a bit.

Not sure if this is a great idea on a stock bottom end. I’ll do some digging.

Hopefully after all that I can prep it, paint it, install new complete gasket kit, rebuild the carb and run it.

I also have to arrange borrowing a trailer to pick up the SWB frame I’m buying.