View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
quadzero

'87 GMC Blue Rhino Project

Hey everyone, finally got some time and warm dry weather to start putting some life into my Gmc, (a co-worker dubbed it the Rhino). I'm afraid this wip won't be as elaborate and jaw dropping as some of the ones I've used for inspiration and knowledge on here so please bear with me. I don't have a garage and I have to use this truck to get to my job so I will do the work in stages to avoid taking it off the road for any great length of time. I want to concentrate more on a clean straight body and a reliable drivetrain. I won't be doing anything to the 305 for now.

The body is in very rough shape, hard to see in the pics but you can pick out all the individual patch panels stuck on over the years. The long winters here and salt they use on the roads just kills anything metal.

This is my parts truck. I spent 8 months debating on stripping it down or saving it and putting it back on the road. I just couldn't bear taking it apart. While it looks good, turns out underneath is a nitemare. Just too many issues and problems and I can't afford to fix up two trucks, plus I don't have the room. It did come with a plow but my driveway is done by hand, (me) so I sold it but does have a lot of stuff that will come in very handy.

Lift kit finally came in, it's a BDS 6". One thing I couldn't stand was how the previous owner had hacked off bits of the fender for 35's to fit and I haul alot of stuff with this truck but clearly the springs were at the end of their lives. Not sure but I think the previous owner re-arched the springs with a torch and I just couldn't trust them anymore miles from home getting firewood. It made the decision of getting the lift kit pretty easy.
I will install this on the weekend, just waiting on a few more minor parts now. The donor truck will provide the axles and as soon as I recondition and paint them, they will go on too. Thanks for looking everyone, cheers.
quadzero is offline   Reply With Quote