View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #75
ctandc

Re: Here We Go - 65 C10 LWB - For the Kid

I’m starting to rethink keeping the 230 engine. After gathering numbers, a small block w/ a 700R4 swap looks more and more sensible every day.

If I don’t have to do ANY machine work to the 230, I’m looking at the following:

- Main bearings(I need .001 bearings – the budget rebuild kits don’t have this option)
- Rod Bearings
- Full gasket kit

So I’m looking at $130-150 shopping around.

Next up I need the following:

- Double groove harmonic balancer
- Double groove water pump pulley
- Replacement exhaust manifold
- Carb rebuild kit
- Spark plug wires (for the HEI distributor I already have)
- Later model alternator (swapping to internal regulator and match the ’79 Camaro 250 setup which I have the power steering pump and brackets from

Add another $250-300 (and that’s hunting around for deals)

Then to make the 230 a bit more drive friendly, I plan on swapping in a 3.08 rear, since I’m going 5 lug in the front anyway. So add another $250 or so. I can find good deals on rears, but nowhere near me. Found one in NC for $175, but it’s gonna cost me $100 in gas to go get it.

Add in another $200 or so for a used Turbo 350.

So that puts me right about $1000 to get it done. Not counting the little things (that I’d need with any engine setup / install).

I’ve seen 305/350 TPI / 700R4 combos from running vehicles (with harness etc) for for $500-800.

I could also keep the 3.73 rear in this case and either buy 6 lug rotors for the front or get my axles redrilled for 5 lug in the rear.

I’m going to keep moving forward with the work needed on the internals for the 230 (cleaning / prepping etc) but hold on buying hard parts, while I keep an eye out for any deals.

Hmmm……..