View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Balancers and timing tabs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel15 View Post
Thanks again for all the responses guys, and yes this picture shows exactly what my situation is. Would anyone know the distance or how I could find out the distance from the original mark to where the new mark was made? I could then measure and mark my current balancer and go from there.
I wouldn't try to overanalyze the problem. I recommend doing what I mentioned in my post above.

Just find exact TDC in the compression stroke and it's as simple as getting a timing tape or scribing lightly with a metal tool. I did that on my 69 and I used a piece of hack saw blade and then painted the mark.

The way I find TDC is to remove the #1 spark plug, remove the coil or ignition wire, have someone click the starter (I use a remote starter switch) and when you start to feel compression, stop. Now you can disconnect the battery terminal, install a socket on the crankshaft pulley and slowly continue turning the engine by hand (easier if all the plugs removed). With a long wooden dowl or similar tool inserted in the spark plug hole, feel the piston as it reaches the top. You are now at TDC and the tab "0" mark or TDC is where the harmonic balancer scribe or mark should be.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote