View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #168
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

To make a long story short, I have missing spinal discs and over the years I have reduced the rear coil spring capacity from 1500 pounds (stock), to 400 lbs (custom), to 150-200 pounds (Skyjacker brand) Jeep 2.5” lifting springs. With the bed cover off and the bed absent of any contents including a spare tire, the Jeep springs provided a comfortable ride, although they made cornering somewhat soggy. Since I put the Gaylord bed cover back on, the Jeep springs provide almost no load capacity, so I’m going back to the 400 lb capacity custom springs. My son is going to come over next Friday and pop them in for me, so I wanted to make sure they were presentable.

Today they were plopped on the bench and stripped using a 3.5” angle grinder and a severely coarse wire cup. A couple of good cleanings finished up with wax and grease remover, and they were ready for paint.

I preheated the springs under the lamps and painted them one at a time on a turntable with a swivel mount holding them from above. An entire can of high quality enamel was used to cover all the surfaces inside and out on both springs, turning each spring over once in the process. I wish the rest of the chassis looked this nice.

Just one more thing accomplished on the checklist. Tomorrow the new gas pedal trim is due to arrive from ChevyDuty, replacing the poor quality substitute received from LMC.