View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #91
shadow1967

Re: 1959 Fleetside REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggy5872 View Post
Why would you need to cut the cradle and get an axles made? It will work off set like that. I have been running a dana 44 in my 59 that is offset to the passengerside for years with not a bit of trouble. The u-joints will take care of it. Just make sure your driveshaft has enough room. Not sure what you already have set up on the frame. There are a lot of vehicles from the factory that are set up with the tranny output shaft centered in the csr and the rear off set one way or the other. Here's mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevette View Post
What Buggy says is true. I wouldn't mess with the rear cradle and axle. Many of the old mopars were built with an offset. If you look under the hood the engines were offset to match. I know 2.5" seems like a lot, but I would have a serious look at dealing with it the way it is. Whatever way you go, Good Luck with your build.
You guys are correct If the camaro and corvette used u-joints anymore. they use driveshaft couplers that look like this. They pretty much want it at zero. And it will give me better rim selection if I want to go 20x10 rims later on, If I add a turbo.
Attached Images