View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #178
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

Back to the windshield trim project, I’ve been reading everything I can find trying to determine who makes the best windshield gasket for a 60-63 with stainless trim. It appears Precision is the best brand available on the market. The next problem was discovering where to buy one.

I’ve read several posts indicating Steele Rubber Products distributes the Precision windshield seal, but they want $75 plus shipping. I’ve seen Ebay ads specifically listing a Precision windshield gasket, but some of the angry customer feedback indicated they had received a Counterbrand gasket instead. So I started with the A’s and figured I’d ask every supplier until I found one that would commit to sending me a Precision branded gasket.

I’m happy to report my first stop was American Classic Truck Parts. I’ve done business with them before and always received quality products without shipping errors. Another benefit was their pricing - $35.00 for their part number WSG60DX.

http://www.americanclassic.com/asp/d...ype=to&exyear=

I was advised they actually have six different suppliers for their windshield gaskets, with Precision being the best brand by far. I specifically requested a Precision Gasket only with no substitutions, and their customer service promised to mark the order with a copy of my email request. I placed the order online and added the “no substitution” note in the special instructions field.

I just received the gasket today, and I’m delighted to report they sent me exactly what I asked for. So for anyone interested, here is one supplier that sells the preferred gasket, and at a comparatively inexpensive price.

It’s pretty obvious if you receive a genuine Precision gasket. It comes in a big plastic bag with markings all over one side:

Here’s the Precision part number for the 1960-63 gasket with the deluxe trim slot:

And here’s another sticker hand marked to indicate the corresponding American Classic part number:

I inspected every inch of the gasket, and it looks great. The vulcanized joint in the middle looks perfect. There are no twists, kinks, or malformed portions. Since this won’t be installed for at least a couple of months, I wanted it laid out flat to give it the best chance of conforming to the windshield. It turns out we have a platform bed with a contained area underneath just the size of the windshield gasket. The seal was tucked inside two large trash bags to keep the dust off, and arranged around the perimeter so there won’t be any twists or stretching in it when time comes for installation.

If all goes well the wide stainless trim will arrive soon, and the project will get back on track in time for Spokane Goodguys in August.