View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #22
dmarty

Re: Which axle 3.08 or 3.42?

I've got 10K on the truck now and I'm happy with the 3.08 gears. I don't do a lot of hauling, usually just 200 to 300 lb of equipment plus a fiberglass topper and the ocassional trip to the home store or landscape supply place with a small utility trailer, about 4000 lb max. The MPG wasn't that great at first, but now that it's broken in it's better. I recently did a 250 mile RT on the interstae with the A/C off and a little bit of in town driving and got 21.1 MPG. I'm happy with that. A couple of times I was driving with a light load in a hilly area and had a head wind and the trans was hunting between 5th and 6th gears. I put it in tow mode and it stopped. I've also tried the manual mode to keep it in 5th when it hunts and that works too. Just to repeat, this has only happend a couple of times and is not a big deal for me. If I had lots of $ and didn't care about MPG or did a lot of towing, I would go with the 3.42, but for my needs the 3.08 if perfect. BTW, my average MPG from day one with 10K miles is 15.7. That includes a lot of idling in the winter here in Wisconisn for my job as I do a lot of outside work and need the engine on to keep me warm. The truck and wheels are factory original. Like I said, I'm happy.

99 Silverado 1500 LT with 315K miles
(RIP)

2012 GMC Sierra SLT
dmarty is offline   Reply With Quote