View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #219
RckyMntnKng

Re: My Build Thread (year+) on 71 Jimmy 4x4

Couple recent 4th Weekend pics.

Recently made some mods on the rear cargo area:

First I moved the seats about 4" more forward leaving enough room to lay the tire flat in the back, and use all the tailgate for storage with a rack.

To increase my range and get rid of all the gas cans I took a 15 gallon external tank with vented cap and pulled the hand pump setup out. installed a handle check/ball valve to give me a manual on/off gravity feed into the main underbody tank. I used the previous seat mount holes to build a Riser for the tank above the tire behind the new seat location.

I pulled the old side gas cap and put a flush mount marine boat deck cap into the side body in same hole, and ran new piping and vents down to the tank. In the metal elbow between the filler neck and tank I welded in a port to accept the gravity flow from the second tank.

The tire uses the old mounting hardware for the hub, and a trailer pin to attach it to the fuel rack, essentially becoming a 3rd leg support for the tank. It worked really good over the weekend 5 day trip. I left out with 33 gallons on board and when the main tank got down to around a 1/4 i would throw the handle and watch it fill me back up to full on the guage. Cargo room greatly increased as well as range
Attached Images