View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
jsdoyle

Re: Window replacement and trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
the trim stays in the rubber, once the w/s is out you pull the rubber off the w/s and the trim will just pull right out.

since your existing rubber is new and you don't need to save the w/s you can just pull it.
if you can get a friend, have them put pressure out on the w/s (with feet, or leather gloves) ,then pry the rubber back from the pinch weld, usually start on the top corner inside.
as you peel the rubber back and they are keeping pressure on it it will slowly push out.
you will also probably see how easy it is to crack laminated glass by removing it this way...

on the parts truck, do not try to save the rubber.
get a couple good razor knives and cut the rubber away from the w/s on the outside until you can just push it out with no hanging up.
you can get away with cutting the rubber away from the sides and bottom, and then as you push it out it will slip out of the top groove.

when you reinstall, the trim has to go in the rubber first, then the rubber on the w/s and then that complete unit to the truck.
it might be easier to hire a glass shop to install the w/s.
Thanks! I guess I'll try to pull the w/s from the scrap yard Saturday and if that goes well I'll give it a shot.

I've read on here that the re-install uses a rope to pull the gasket inside the cab. Sounds easy enough but I'm sure it's like anything else.

My stock answer to my wife when she asks how long it will take me to do something is "about 5 minutes". When I say that she can count on an hour.
jsdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote