View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
fixit-p

Re: Avoid American Autowire Alternator conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ1988 View Post
I ordered an external to internal regulator wiring conversion kit by American Autowire. Installed it, and installed the new alternator.

After connecting the battery cable, the alternator started smoking.

I ended up cutting the conversion plug open that connected to the external regulator wiring.

According the posts on this site, you only jump the two outside wires together. The conversion had this, but also had the two wires in the middle jumped together.

The white wire, at the alt, which is supposed to be unused, was going to plug 2 on the alt.

According to this site, plug 2 should be jumped to the post on the alt.

Luckily this only destroyed the alternator, and did no cause any damage to the truck.

I pulled it off, and rewired based on the posts I have seen here. Its good now.
The American Auto wire kit didn't kill your alternator, something else did. If the center two terminals are jumped together (red and white wires) then the whit wire should absolutely go to the #2 terminal. And the outside 2 terminals (brown and blue wires) go to #1 terminal. If you look at the diagram below and follow the wires from the back of the alt you will see the #2 wire and the batt wire both connect at a buss (circled) this take advantage of the alternators ability to sense voltage remotely and is more efficient than just jumping the wire to the back. The colors at the alt in the drawing differ from what you had but that is only because the jumpers on the drawing are from 1-3 and 2-4 the only thing that matters is that the brown wire ended up at #1 on the alt and the red wire at #2.

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote