View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
Jay Pee Dee

Talking Re: C10 Suburban Update from East Africa

Originally?? Been all over the place. You might call me a globalized citizen. I hold a UN LP and a European PP from one of the low lands (No, the other one, small and very-very low LOL)

Strangely I come across as an American or a Canadian, dunno why (Maybe because my North American accent and tastes Go figure). I feel right at home in the Pacific North West. Nothing like a good cuppa coffee, beacon and eggs, cheese cake and a clear morning view on the Pacific (with classic and hot rods nicely parked outside; their chromes shining under the West Coast morning sun)

When I bought the truck the plan was a three year tour in Kenya and and time wasn't an issue. Now all of a sudden I have to dust off ..which complicates things quite a bit (I really hate to work on an engine when I have to catch a plane in a hurry – No Napa or Lordco OTC parts at the street corner to correct last minute cock-ups here! ) ...I won't even have the time to sell it. I think I'll take it with me to my next gig which is going to be in Europe of all places...(where I already know where to find a 292, 2 X 250, and a couple of 350s - [HeHe]). I also left a 1948 Stylemaster in that part of the world (Super clean and original I'll have time to wake it up ).

I think the Burb could come handy in my international move. I'm tempted to go for an all out frame-off restoration in a couple of years. There is such an abundance of decent reproduction parts it's hard to resist.

Lucky I had the gardener around to help me pull that block to the upper yard. Carried heavier engines before but can't remember when. The difference of weight with the crank installed is phenomenal. Had to remove the pan one more time this morning to correct rod bolts torque - Had torqued them to 40 Ft Lbs...which is for the 292 NOT the 250. That mere 5 Ft Lbs difference was clearly noticeable when I turned it by hand (Pheeeeew! Disaster averted...).
Attached Images

Jay Pee Dee is offline   Reply With Quote