Thread: 1960 Biscayne
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #149
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Re: 1960 Biscayne

Funny you should ask. Last night we had lift off and touch down! Sorta.

I have all the wiring laid out so I can do repairs if testing revealed a problem. I initially tried to take the jack stands out from under the car, but it goes so low I can't jet my jack out. So Plan B is to set it on jacks as low as I can, then raise it off of them.

It was so cool when I turned the ignition switch to ON and heard the compressors fire up. It took the two of them about a minute to fill the 5 gallon tank. Then I tested each valve without the air line plugged in so I could verify which one responded to the buttons on display. Then I plugged the lines in and tested each corner one by one, and sure enough it raised itself off the jack stands. Pretty damn cool I thought.

The pic below is the best I've got now. This is with it sitting off the jack stands, pretty close to what I think will be ride height. I'm not sure if it will lay frame yet (not really the goal of the project), but it's going to be real close.

I left it last night with the jack stands still under it. I'm doing a leak down test before I remove them completely since it's so hard to get a jack under it. Also, I don't have brakes on it yet so I'm not ready to move it around, but I can move Ol Yeller out of the way for a nice side shot. It will be a couple days before I'm going to be back out to the shop tho.

The wiring set up as it is right now. I'm going to put some shielding around the wires and get them bundled up, and I'm putting grommets everywhere a line comes through sheet metal. Jeg's sells a nice kit that has several of differing sizes.

I decided to build a false floor in the passenger foot wells for two reasons. It's a major PITA to carpet, and it's a great place to store of the cables and Ride Tech stuff so I can easily get to them.

That leaves just the tank and valves in the truck, and since I mounted those on a piece of plywood I can slide those out and service them easily if I need to.

Now, I just need to get the #%^ brakes sorted out.

Last edited by Zoomin; 08-14-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote