View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #20
PurdueSD

Re: Lost and Forgotten 51

Well, after a 1 year hiatus... I'm back with a new direction.

88 Suburban gunna donate its guts...

350tbi/700r4
Driving home I was pretty pleased. Starts right up, but has a little pinging on mid to heavy throttle. Motor ran pretty strong for the 25 mile trip home, stayed cool and had great oil pressure as far as the crappy stock gauges could tell. Did get a check engine light about 20 miles down the road, so ill have to pull the codes after i learn more about the paperclip trick. That was kind of a bummer.

TBI is totally new to me. At first it kinda scared me but after a couple hours of internet hopping, sounds like i will be able to figure it out with ample head scratching along the way. Transmission- on the other hand- shifted flawlessly, even when i tried to confuse it. For the $800 bucks i gave, I don't think i can get hurt to badly. 57k on GM crate longblock, tranny rebuilt by reputable local shop 20k ago...Blah, blah, hope its true...Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Other little tidbits:
-Anybody ever adapt squarebody firewall mount breaks/ pedal assembly?
-Looks like the huge gas tank may fit in the rear of the AD if i turn it sideways. This would be awesome considering i need a electric full pump for the tbi. Also plan to scavenge the fuel lines.
-Rear axle measures 63.5" WMS so i think its just barely too wide. Some skinny bias might still fit...hmmm

Any other ideas or suggestions to scavenge?

On to the pics..."She's a beaut, Clark!"

PurdueSD is offline   Reply With Quote