View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #63
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

Re: The Dakota Cadillac (68 K20 w/ Cummins)

You forced me outside to take pictures of my rig. Such a stressful life.

I just picked up some 87 Burb 5 leaf 56" springs to replace the stock bent twin leaves.

Hint: My burb has stock 56" leaves, I didn't realize that until I went to get replacements and double checked with a tape measure. After some bushings she'll go back together with some airbags I have extra from my GMC to go over the axle and a semi-truck leveling/kneeling valve to keep a constant ride height while able to fit in my garage. The rear will be coming up about 2" from where it's sagged to now so it's level front to rear.

Caddy tail lights that will be taken out when I get around to the metal work. Also going to replace the hitch with something with better ground clearance. Thinking just below the bumper to protect it from bottoming out and grabbing some dirt.

Fuel tank I built, 38 gallons and plenty of ground clearance. I'm waiting for a piece of 1/8" stainless scrap to show up a work to build a skid plate out of, tieing it into the bottom of the hitch to make a nice "slide" for the fun times.

Also installed some seats in it, the 69 Chevelle bench was about 6" too narrow which sucked for my passenger's comfort. These were in my Dad's 70 El Camino when I picked it up for him, Flexsteel RV seats.

I made a frame that spanned the stock bench holes and also supported itself along the floor support. A few welds here and there and it fits nicely and it very sturdy. A huge improvement over the too soft bench, my back no longer hurts after the first hour driving. It slides front to rear and I now have a vehicle that reclines! Awesome for highway driving.

And the center console was custom made from the same bucket that serves as my maintenance stool.
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote