View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: Lowering (with air suspension in mind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Yeah drop spindles would be used with bags and for the rear I would (and have) just buy some drop springs to get it down until you get the money saved for air ride. I bought my rear 5" drop springs on sale for $88 from Brothers trucks and I figure I could sell them when I go with an air ride set up later. If yours is a 68?, guessing based upon your name. You would likely use a 73-87 drop spindle with 1.25 rotors and 5x5 bolt pattern. Are you wanting to go 5 lug or keep it a 6 lugger?
No, no, no.
This is OLD information.
There is no need to swap to 73-87 drop spindles.
This will require you to change ball joints, outer tie rods, move your '68 outer tie rods to the inner location and buy $50-$60 conversion tie rod sleeves.
(or switch to all 73-87 steering linkage to avoid the tie rod adapter sleeves)

You can buy conversion drop spindles now that are a bolt on to your '68!
They are listed as 63-70 conversion drop spindles.
They use stock HD (1-1/4" wide) 5-lug rotors, or aftermarket 6-lug rotors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamin of a '68 View Post
I want to go 5 lug, and yes it's a '68. Thanks for your response, this is exactly the information I was looking for. I am, however, curious why I'd go with the 73-87 spindles as opposed to a '68 setup? Is there a particular kit that you (or anyone) would recommend?
See reply above.
Check out the board supporting vendors.
I like www.performanceonline.com or Summit Racing also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamin of a '68 View Post
I had my eye on this kit and thought it was a pretty great price - http://grunionfabrication.com/disc-b...10-p-2129.html

Any comments on grunion fab's reputation please feel free to comment.

Also, did you use a notch with your 5" rear coils? I seen this note on Brother's website: Note: when lowering more than 4" in the rear, a C-notch must be used for proper frame to axle tube clearance
I've ordered a couple times from Grunions.
I had great success with them.
Plus they normally have killer prices on McGaughy's stuff.
5" rear drop will require no notch if you use drop springs designed for these trucks.
Some people, including myself use 6" drop springs without a notch.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is online now   Reply With Quote