View Single Post
Old 10-12-2003, 12:02 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Then, I removed the tail light bucket (or what ever they call the metal backing plate that has the actual light socket) It is held to the bed with 2 5/16 inch bolts. Once you have it unbolted, pull it out (with harness) untill it hangs down enough to access the entire tail light hole.
Cut the plug off of the harness.
If you were to place the LED lamp and tail lens assembly into the light hole on the bed, you'd see the lens is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from setting where it belongs. I used a 5 pound hammer and a 1/2 inch drive, 10 inch extention (My drift is at the shop) and proceded to beating the offending sheet metal out of the way. (it didn't take very much) Make a few blows to the metal, and try to fit it in. No need in pummeling it more than needed.
Once it fits in the hole to your liking, use a long skinny punch, and reach through the two mounting holes of the lens to mark the inner sheetmetal for drilling. You'll need some screws about 2 - 3 inches long. (about 2 1/2...but I didn't actually measure) Drill the holes, and test fit the lens and LED lamp assembly. These screws will be used to hold the lens in place since the buckets or backing plate will not be re-used. With some carefull pounding, it should fit fine, and the pressure from the screws will hold the led lamp against the sheet metal. So even if it was a tad loose (Which mine was actualle a bit too tight) in the lens, the lamp will be 'sandwiched' inbetween the lens and the metal.
Now for the electrical. The wire colors on the LED may well look odd. Mine had a red, white, and black. Luckily, mine was also labeled. The white was ground, which I crimped an eyelet on there and used one of the original 5/16 inch bolts to ground it. Then the tail light wire goes to the brown wire from your stock harness, and then the brake/turn wire would go to the green/yellow wire (depending on which side of the truck you are working on) Use good crimp on connectors and heat shrink to keep the nasty crap out of your connection. I used the crimp ons that have head shrink on them already. They can be found at NAPA, but they are a little spendy.
Now re-install the LED/lens assembly, and test it out.
As for the blinker issues that some people have reported with LED lights, you may or may not have issues with this.
I got lucky. My truck's turn signals will blink even if there are no lights installed. I don't know why it does this, or even if I like it like that or not. But that's how mine works. (It should not work like that. The indicator should stay on, and the remaining light (with one removed or burned out) should lite and stay lit) I do have electronic flashers on mine, and that may have something to do with it, but I do not know.
I DO know that NAPA has a small LED blinker unit that can be purchased, and is supposed to cure the non-blinking singnals from the reduced load that the LED will put on the blinker.
Now do the other side and enjoy.

I'm not joking, the very first time I drove it with these lights in there, some one at an intersection yelled asking where I got the LED conversion for my truck. He was driving an old camaro, but said he had a truck at home he was restoring.
This put an even bigger grin on my face.
Attached Images