View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #263
benoit454
Chris

Re: My 88 buildup on a tight budget

wow it's been quite some time since I posted.

I fixed the lock rod clips and such, put the interior all back together. I also patched up the leaking rad heater hose nipple, solder, then jb weld so I'll hope it works for now.

The biggest issues was my brakes. I could NOT get a pedal, when the truck off I could get maybe half pedal after pumping, but once running they'd hit the floor and set the brake light. I fought and fought those stupid things. I already had new calipers, pads, shoes and wheel cylinders, and when replacing the parking brake cables I tore a boot on one cylinder, so it got replaced and new hardware kit installed on both sides, as well as new front hoses up front when i rebuilt the front end.

I tore the entire brake system apart, cleaned and blew thru it all with my compressor, ended up changing both rear axle hard lines, no go, changed the master cylinder, still nothing, changed the proportioning valve, nothing.

As most of you know I did away with the RWAl abs crap too, well found out that fitting was leaking, it had a groove in the top for some reason and was leaking down thru the threads. I changed it with a new one, didn't help, so now I was down to one last thing, the rear brake hose. It must have been it, changed it and got a better pedal, drove it around in front of the house some doing emergency stops forward and back to adjust the rears out more and now it's much better.

I think I had a combo of 3 things, one the prop valve, but ONLY after I took it apart, since it started leaking afterwards.

2 the fittings having a nick in it.

3 the rear line swelling inside making it shut off somewhat.

I haven't had it out on the road yet but sometime this week I hope to. First time in months it'll be driven, well besides in and out of the yard.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote