View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 03:17 AM   #9
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Re: HOW TO: Crossmember sectioning ...

THIS IS WHERE ALL YOUR HARD WORK STARTS TO PAY OFF !!
-
-
After a little grinding (ok, a lot) and some sanding … It’s starts to look like nothing ever happened…
-

-

-
In certain places … You might need to go back and do some ‘fill in’ with your welder, and resand. As I will …
-

-

-
But overall, it’s coming along pretty nicely …
-

-
Again, the back side might be left as is … only attention to the nipples on the sides (they always get my attention) …
-

-

-
-
NOTE: Another option instead of the 'relief' cut would be to cut around the "nips", then weld them back onto the top half. I chose my method because I thought it made the crossmember look a little cleaner ...
-
-
-
** UPDATE **
-
-
Before calling it good, I performed a test fit. You may find areas that need attention, either triming, and/or more welding/fill in as shown in the last two pics. Other than that, look at the clearance we gained, not mention the 2" drop off the get go without touching any other suspension component...
-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-
You may also notice a driver side later 70's V8 motor mount. If it seems a little tall, that is because the '63 and later frames are taller. So this '62 chassis will require a little spacer. It will work out, as the spacer will be part of the upper bracing as well.

Also keep in mind this modification DOES NOT change the position of the engine.

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"

Last edited by ChiefRocka; 09-19-2012 at 11:49 PM.
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote