View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #347
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

With a desire to get the windshield trim installed by the end of the year, I picked up on the polishing process again. When I last worked on it in June, I eliminated all the dents and then moved on to other projects.

Today I began the pre-polish sanding with 320 grit paper wet. The two lower pieces took over an hour apiece, having quite a few serious wiper scratches to remove. After finishing all four pieces, I started over with 400 grit. That was followed up with 600 grit. Five and a half hours later, I did the driver side lower piece with 800 before I ran out of gas. It doesn’t show up very well, but in places the piece in front with the 800 grit scratch almost looks like a polished surface.

Next session the other 3 pieces will get the 800 grit scratch followed by 1000, 1200, and 1500 before moving on to the buffer. I’m really looking forward to seeing how this turns out, being the first time I’ve ever polished a stainless trim set from start to finish. I’ll take some much better pictures once everything is done.