View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #254
bollybib

Re: Jim's 1969 Custom/20

REMOTE STARTER RELAY (3 of 4)

Then I removed the starter so I could install a bus bar from the battery terminal to the start terminal. I used a piece of copper from plumbing pipe to make the bus. I reinstalled the starter with the cable connected and fished the cable up to the proposed location of the relay, securing it properly along the way. I then installed the battery-to-relay cable. With both cables in place I was able to find the best place to mount the relay and that’s what I did.

Name:  08 100_7070 30pct.jpg
Views: 2306
Size:  99.2 KB

Name:  09 100_7076 30pct.jpg
Views: 2299
Size:  18.4 KB

The original wiring harness has a purple wire (start) and yellow/resistor wire combo (for a points distributor) that connect to the starter. My yellow/resistor wire is currently unused because a PO installed an HEI distributor. I decided not to hack off the yellow/resistor wire. Instead I pulled it back to the firewall terminal on the driver side and coiled it up in good fashion.

For the modification, the purple wire must be connected to the relay, not the starter. I cut off a portion at the end of the original purple wire where the insulation was brittle, spliced on the new purple wire, and rerouted it from the firewall terminal, forward to the radiator support, then across the radiator support and on to the relay. I installed a ring terminal and heat shrink on the end where it connects to the relay.

Thus I eliminated all small gauge wire going to the starter.

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911

Last edited by bollybib; 10-21-2012 at 11:27 AM.
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote