View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
skorpioskorpio

Re: Yet another tilt column question. This one: Using a '91 suburban column.

Well looking into the Ididit and Flaming River columns they seem to fall short of some of the modern nicities of lets say the last of the pre-airbag columns. Just from the sense of not having to think when moving from vehicle to vehicle, the natural expectation is to reach for the wipers and the high beams on the column now. I know this board is full of purests that probably think a locking key on column is total blastphamy in one of these old trucks I personally am interested in building a truck for myself and for the next 20 years so I'm not so concerned what the next owner may have to undo or how correct it is for the truck....and lets face it putting a 20 year newer GM column on one of these trucks is no less blastfamous than putting an aftermarket column on.

The way I look at it between a more modern column, a Dakota or Classic Insturments cluster and the things you can stick in a double DIN component opening now, you can basically get everything in one of these old trucks that you can get in a new truck except anti-lock brakes and airbags. Oh and without the nightmare of every last thing connected to a central ECU that pops a check engine light for hundreds of codes including many with no relation to the engine at all.

As far as the basic column fit I would think that a 1991 column would measure out the same as a 1973 column so maybe that is an easier question because I would think the 1973 through 1991 would all be the same given they are essentially the same truck. This way I guess I'm asking can you put a 73 column in a 72, and it's not a 20 years span into the largely unknown land of Rs and Vs.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote