View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #98
Stepside Jim

Re: 1957 Chevy truck re-rebuild

_Ogre, how are you doing, I'm still working on pictures as you requested.

fat56, the term "lead" has me confused a bit. Are you referring to the fuel tank sending unit.? If so, it's one of those projects I get half way into and look at the clock and say, what, 4 hours into this project!!! I think it'll be worth the effort when all is back together again. It was about 8 hours cutting and fitting.

Moving forward on the air filter housing...The aluminum plate had a machined look to the surface, this machined look was not what I wanted when done, I'm going for a polished finish. You can see the difference in this next picture.

I think started with 400 grit wet sand paper and used mineral spirits for the wet/ lubricant while sanding. By time I was done I finished with 1500 grit. Then a very aggressive buffing compound finishing with mothers aluminum polish.

Getting close to the finish I'm looking for.

This truck is a memorial build for my dad so I figured I would use the space on top of the air filter for a tribute. It took some time on the computer to get this right, but well worth the effort when done.

Everything in place. Once done there will be two more fake holes one at the top and one at the bottom, making it look like 6 mounting fasteners. I'm probably going to use black anadized 12 point bolts on the top plate.
Stepside Jim is offline   Reply With Quote