View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
Longbed68

1930s Truck as a Daily Driver???

I've really had a hankering to do this for years and I'm starting to get serious about going ahead with it. I'd like to have a 1930s era Chevy truck (anything before the time when they started integrating the headlights into the fenders) as a daily driver. I would just drive it around town and to haul things when needed, as my wife and I have a modern car to drive when necessary.

I don't want a hot rod truck, so it'd be mostly bone stock. I would add some important safety features like seat belts and suitable taillights. Otherwise, how realistic would this be?

For starters, I won't pretend like I know much about this era of truck. I don't, so I'd appreciate some basic information. Two key questions.

-Do they have electronic starters or were they still hand-crank only?

-Do they have hydraulic brakes?

I assume the answer to both questions is yes, but I really don't know. I know it sometimes took trucks a while to catch up to cars in these areas.

More questions:

-How easy is it to find parts (brake parts, engine parts, etc.)?

-If I were to buy one without an engine, would I be able to drop something like a crate 350 in it or is that a whole other can of worms?

-What reasons would you recommend me to NOT consider one of these trucks as a daily driver?

I appreciate your input and support.

Thanks.

Dan
Longbed68 is offline   Reply With Quote