View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 02:32 AM   #396
jlsanborn

Re: My '67 Fleetside C10 renew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
First, you're welcome! Glad to help, but if I'm your guide, you're in deep trouble! Ok, you need GUIDE COAT. SEM GUIDE COAT, if not the really good 3m rub on stuff. Anything else is ****e, especially in the finer grits. Seriously. It'll gum you up terrible, and if you're using spray bomb enamel, if you leave some on under your urethane, it can make it do impressively wacky things! You can use some spare base and thinner mix in your gun in a pinch. Yes, you can use red scotchbrite to scrub in your edges, especially with solid colors. You need green (finer) scotchbrite for metallics, especially if THEY'RE fine. Confused? Good! Open a beer, Bunkie, you're on the road! With solids, if your color is all mixed together, and your prime is all the same color, you can shoot in pieces, but you have to be very sure you run the same amount of coats on all pieces or your shades will vary. It's no biggie, just keep track. With metallics, you want the cut ins done and the truck loosely assembled, because all your metallic needs to lay the same way and in the same amount over the whole truck. Keep it up, and don't never, ever ever, ever eeeeeever, use spray bomb enamel for guide coat. Have fun slickin' it up! Wait till after 400, your primer will be shiny! Tip: soak a clean blue paper towel in a brand compatible wax and grease remover after you 400, and lay a nice wet sheet across the panel with it. Look at the wet surface, it'll show if you left any big scratches. Toodles!
Posted via Mobile Device
Man I really appreciate the words, especially peckin em out on the mobile! I hope you have a cool phone or some voice to text app!! I don't know anyone personally that knows $hit about this. I've read THE BOOK online and every joe has his own method and materials. You're the one that is offering advice and I practically saw your last job with my own eyes. So no, I don't think I'm in trouble at all. I really feel like I'm on the right track and everything is coming out better than I'd hoped so far ('cept the seam sealer, I'm still not real happy with that).

I am using an actual guide coat (tan-in-a-can). It's Martin Senour 7233 (reads acetone and talc, plus a whole bunch of other nasty stuff). I'm thinking that in this cold weather it just needed more time to dry. Tonight the stuff wiped off clean with minimal clogging. After the last block I wiped it down with W/G remover and I know what you're sayin. When it's wet you can really see how nice it is (and the scratches that are left).

Now you scared me a bit with the "brand compatible" statement in regards to the wax and grease remover. There's a difference? I bought the stuff from the dude that's sold me all the other stuff so I hope I haven't done something bad here. It reads naptha and mineral spirits.....

I'll be all solid colors and will plan on spraying everything while its apart. If you think I should buy the whole lot of paint and mix it all into one batch that's what I'll do. Just wonder how much sprayable I'm gonna need??? I'm hopeful that I'll shoot some color this weekend!!!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote