View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 01:36 AM   #28
1project2many

Re: Laying running boards with AD frame? Tell us how its done?

I saw a question... "Why do you guys do it? I don't get it." That's something I would ask. The question for me isn't a backward way of saying it's no good, it's a real question. "What's the appeal?" For this style I can probably answer.

Lowering a truck brings the body lines to the eye in a crisper and cleaner way without the contrast of light under the frame or chassis and dark areas in the wheel wells. These trucks usually look better with whitewalls because the white offsets the shadows that usually show up under the fenders. In the pictures posted here of the truck in bare steel, the photo from the bottom of the driveway captures the point of a lowered truck better than the photo from above the left front. And the flat black truck looks better in the lower picture, also due to the contrast. Dragging / laying running boards is just typical human behavior. Take a style, fashion, or look to its extreme then enjoy it because it's extreme. And I think the splayed wheels / suspension broke look definitely isn't universal. The people who do it are the ones who are lowering vehicles without the money, tools, or know how to actually modify the suspension to make it right. Altering A arm angles, changing suspension attachment, cutting and welding frames isn't easy stuff. So they accept that the wheels are wrong, the alignment will never be right, and the vehicle rides like poo because that's as good as it gets. Most of the well built rides I've seen don't look like that when they're being displayed at a show.

What makes it tough for me to want one of these trucks is that I can't help but think of how much of a drive is spent avoiding roads, potholes, curbings, etc to prevent unwanted damage. I get into the weekend truck to relax, not to have to work harder than during the week. But maybe it's not as tough is it looks.

Now if someone could explain the attraction of giant wheels and low profile on road tires on SUV's, well, I'd be grateful. They always remind me of horse drawn wagons.

Last edited by 1project2many; 11-17-2012 at 01:54 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote