View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
LEEVON

Re: tricks for removing paint swirl and light scratches

Check out autogeek.net (no affiliation). They have some great tutorials, there is a forum also I think. I have a PorterCable 7424 dual action polisher, which is pretty much the detailer's standard. To remove swirls, depending on how bad and what color and type of paint I start with a wash and a claybar rub. Then work the paint with a heavy or medium swirl remover on an agressive pad. I might step up to a lighter swirl remover, then a polish, then a glaze or sealant. It's not cheap or easy to do it the right way, but rewarding. It takes me the better part of a weekend to do a whole car like this, which is why I don't do it often. On my '71 which gets driven hard and put away wet, every couple of years I'll just do the hood and maybe the tops of the fenders where the reflections are seen.

Bottom line is that you actually have to cut the clear coat (or paint if single stage). Filler type waxes don't work. Also, some people may be able to make those furry pad rotarty buffers work, but in my opinion they do more harm than good. The worst spiderwebs I've seen come from dealerships or detail shops who do those on a quick "detail".