Thread: Rear Gear Ratio
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #14
Stepside Jim

Re: Rear Gear Ratio

I have to agree with the 3.50 gear.

Reason being.... I have a Chevy car, I used a turbo 350 for years it has a 3.55 rear gear.

I was ready to go to a standard transmission, I was going to settle with a Super T-10. As I did some studying I saw where there was a install kit for the TKO transmission to fit my car. Hmmmm. about another $1000.00.

Best extra $1000.00 I ever spent.

I compared the first gear of the turbo 350 at about 2.50 ratio. The TKO trans I bought was 3.27. I went to the Kiesler engineering site and they had a chart for comparison. This ratio change gave me the first gear ratio comparable to a 4.56 rear end. This has totally changed my burn out ability like never before. Some will say it requires too much shifting, just start out in second gear I say.

Now when you get to the over drive, no comparison..... I was at 2200 rpm around 65 mph before. Now at 2200 rpm I'm around 90 mph.

What I'm saying is... the range of the 5 speed trans transforms the 3.50 rear end to a great drag rear then to a great highway gear. You should be pleased with your choice.
Stepside Jim is online now   Reply With Quote