View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
jc06vmax

jc06vmax's 71 Jimmy Build

I figured it was time to actually post up a build thread since the cutting, grinding, and welding has started.

Background:

I found my Jimmy on a sketch-looking Craigs ad in Knoxville. The guy had it listed as a 71 Jimmy that needed to be restored with no other details. Drove down to check it out and ended up hauling it home the following day on the cheap.

The guy I bought the Jimmy from was the second owner, who had owned it since the mid 90s but never drove it. The original owners had restored the Jimmy in the late 80s sometime, but had since gone down hill. The good news is that it had sat for about 10-12 years as opposed to being abused out in the woods like the few that you see around here have been.

The PO said the motor was junk and barely had any compression at all. After swapping the rusted gas tank for a new one, rebuilding the carb, and a couple cans of Sea Foam, it came to life and was able to drive around. I ended up running around for about a month with the top off before it got too cold.

Plans

My overall vision for the Jimmy continues to change, but I have decided on general direction with a few specifics in mind. I don't have the budget (nor the patience) for a frame off resto, but at the same time I'm not trying to build a beater. Dependability and function are top priorities for the time being. I want to be able to take it on short trips out of town but also be able to run through the mountains on a few trails.

To Do/Build Items

-Fix all rust (rear wheel wells, lower doors, front floor pan, other minor areas)
-New body mounts
-Silverado front buckets, Tahoe 3rd row seats (keep original console)
-around a 3in. suspension lift
-at least 35 12.50s on rally wheels
-heavy duty rear bumper with spare and gas can mounts
-73+ Blazer roll bar (maybe a cage later)
-bedside toolboxes for lockable storage and speakers
-2 tone Hugger Orange and white with upper and lower truck trim
-bedline inside of tub, then Peel-n-Seal, then carpet (sound deadener)
-Al's Liner the double wall top

...and eventually (a long time down the road) a 5.3/6.0 4l60e swap.

A lot of my ideas have came from RckyMntnKng's Build Thread along with some others as well.

I'm open to any suggestions or comments as this is my first build and I need all the help I can get. Thanks for looking!

Here's some pics before the rust repair started.

jc06vmax is offline   Reply With Quote