View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 04:20 AM   #59
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: how about some pics of inline 6 engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin thunder View Post
rebuilding mine out of a 84 c10, i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on cam upgrades.. i want something meaner than stock but idk wher to go or what to get.
I'm running a Crane 260H in a '68 292, bored .030 over, Badger pistons, stock rods stock crank, metal timing gears, Rhoads lifters, stellite valves and seats -1.84" [OEM for V8 305], Offy intake, Edelbrock 500 CFM AFB-type carb, Clifford headers, dual exhaust w/crossover, turbo mufflers, SM465 Tranny, Eaton posi in Corp 12-bolt rear @3.73:1. This is in a half-ton Orange shortbed C/10 stepside.
You want a late '60s -early '70s head [w/o integral manifold --or one from a later 292 --IIRC 292s never had the integral manifolds]. The bottom end should be OK. It will all bolt together.
Crane folded a couple of years ago, not sure if they resurfaced again, but I heard Isky still cuts cams to spec. 250 cams are different from 292s only by the placement of the fuel pump lobe. 250 cams will be easier to find.
Not sure how thin the walls are on the L6s, VW Nate's talking about. I got 250,000 miles out of my last block. But he is right about the RPM range. I find taller tires make up for the lack of high revs like the V8s put out. Over-revving an L6 will cause the harmonic balancer to walk off its mark, wobble or even cannonball out thru the radiator.
Good L6 parts sources are :
Clifford Performance: www.cliffordperformance.net
Langdon's Stovebolt Engine Company: www.stoveboltengineco.com
Inliners International: www.inliners.org

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 12-07-2012 at 04:27 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote