Thread: Can My 305 Tow?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #24
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Re: Can My 305 Tow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armybyrd View Post
Wasnt sure if the 305 was enough power to tow anything. Anyone know how much my truck should be able to tow? I understand the potential stopping issues-anything I can do to help with that or is a brake controller my only option?
A brake controller isn't your only option, but a trailer with brakes is a must. I assume you will be renting a trailer from U-Haul or the like, many of these have surge brakes, which work without needing a brake controller. It is mounted in the coupler, the inertia of the trailer pushing on the truck applies the brakes, the harder you stop the truck the harder the trailer brakes apply. Most veteran haulers frown upon surge brakes, not because of their functionality as a braking system, but because of their weird quirks, such as a sometimes violent bang after you take off from a stop (the surge actuator releasing and taking up the slack from being compressed during braking), and the fact that the brakes tend to apply when backing especially uphill (usually going slow and steady, not gassing it, will limit this).

One of our trailers has surge braking, a retired U-Haul trailer actually, which was beat on for years as a rental, and now beat on by us, still works wonderfully. Sure it's annoying at times, but it always stops fine when needed.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote