View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 02:10 AM   #151
Ackattack

Re: Project Family Chummins

The latest:

I finished up welding on the floor and then started prepping the cab for the lizard skin sound deadener (my wife really doesn't want to hear the cummins under the hood)

This stuff is pretty easy to spray on and easy to clean up. It cleans up with water. I did have to scuff eveything with a scotchbrite pad, so that took awhile. It has been below freezing for the last few days and my heater is working good so this stuff can dry. Earlier today I walked in and it was 72 degrees inside and probably 20 degrees outside. The problem with this is with all of the water evaporating it was condensing on the concrete floor and window. Oh well, It could be 20 in the garage.

I also started repairing the headliner. This truck was a "upscale conversion" (aka really dated) with a big console that ran all the way to the back with gaudy lights in it. Anyways, the headliner had an extra hole in it, so I'm working on filling it in with fiberglass before I recover it.

I also took the mechanical fan off. It was a huge PITA cause it was on so tight. I had to make a special tool to hold the pulley while I unthreaded the fan.

I also modified the sending unit. On a cummins the lift pump is on the engine, so it sucks the fuel from the tank to the lift pump (and then pushes it to the injection pump). So I removed the stock chevy fuel pump and replaced it with a piece of tubing.

I also changed out thermostat (no pictures cause what would I take a picture of?)

Finally, I started installing new brake lines. I managed to cut them on the rear axle when I was cutting the stock spring purches. I'm also going to go ahead and run all new hardlines cause the chevy lines were pretty rusty looking.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote