View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #512
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

I’ve had that experience as well. Very few people want to pack up and haul all their junk back home after a long hot weekend!

It looks like I’ll be reshuffling gauges again. After sorting all the bugs out of the fuel system improvements, I realized how nice it would be to have a fuel pressure gauge in the cab to know when the system is charged up, and also for reading idle and WOT pressures.

Research indicated two options. An Autometer “Traditional Chrome” mechanical fuel pressure gauge is available matching all my other gauges, or a mismatched electrical model.

An electrical model would have been easier (and more expensive), but I’d rather have all the gauges match and save quite a bit of money. So I’ll be using the Autometer 2413 Fuel Pressure gauge with a mechanical isolator. Apparently these run gas from the carb to the isolator and antifreeze from the isolator to the gauge, keeping fuel out of the passenger compartment.

I’ve got a couple of details to sort out, like where to mount the isolator, and whether to leave the regulator on the engine or mount it next to the isolator. Then it’s on to the inside.

I’ll probably remove the chrome bullets up on the instrument panel and either install the fuel level and fuel pressure gauges in those holes, or I may mount the fuel pressure gauge on the accessory panel and move the gas and vacuum gauges up on the main panel.

Either way I’ll need to do something with the lower accessory panel. The easiest solution would be to switch to a two gauge panel, but who knows, there might be something else creative I can do with the spare hole.