View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
Benlugchev

Modified stock control arms to accept adj. coilovers

Has anybody ever tried to modify/cut out a section of the center of the upper control arm to let a 2.50" OD coilover pass through it mounted to a custom perch?

Yes I know that buying tubular control arms would be the best route, but im thinking of trying out this method, really nothing to loose, if it doesnt work I just nuy new aftermaket tubular CA's.

My plan is the make a bracket on the lower CA spring perch to accept a hiem joint adj. coilover, cut/modify/remove the stock top spring perch, cut modify/open the middle section of the upper CA enough to let the coilover pass though and make a bracket coming off the frame to accept the top bolt of the coil over.

My measurements show that I can run a 14"-15" eye to eye adjustable coilover, if this all works out.

Depending on how much of the center section of the upper control arm, I would add some gussets or stiffeners to keep its rigidity.

I did alot of searching on this site and only found someone who use a small coil over in place of the stock spring. Really didnt have alot of travel.

Any thoughts yea or nea?