View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: I want honest opinions for performance and flow vortec heads or 487x

98's will definately be real Vortecs,, but still I'd DEMAND a flowbench report on every runner before and after,,,,

Stock L-31 / 855 vortec heads flowed a best of 239 / 147 @ .55' lift measuring 5 different sets on a Superflow SF-600 (it doesn't get more repeatable than this)
* note heads had guides milled for lift / retainer clearance

One set after a home port/polish and bowl job went 230 / 160,,, ohhh yeah nice job!!! Spend days and $100 on tootsierolls to make a set of decent heads WORSE!!! It's a common achievment! Not that this guy doesn't have a proven program for the vortecs, just saying be CAUTIOUS what and who works on them.

Make sure they are pressure checked for cracks before spending anything else,,, and get a real and final cost for:
replacing the guides and cutting them for retainer clearance,
new valves,
seats as needed,
new springs,
surfacing,
and if milling to reduce the chamber the chamber more than 8-10cc (typically around 0.080 to .100") have the intake face corrected

but FIRST, make sure this isn't the 305 vortec heads,,, There is a tiny 54cc chamber version (the 520 casting as I remember) that will net you compression WAY over pump gas toilerable.

I think what everyone is trying to tell you is it is EASY to stumble here and have a pig in a very expensive dress.

The 15 year old castings are showing signs of being an aged lightweight casting.

Roger Rule #2,,,
Quote:
Make your choices, Spend your money,,, live with the results.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote