View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #162
bollybib

Re: Jim's 1969 Custom/20

HVAC (6 OF 6)
Once I had the old blower out, I found the driveshaft was real wobbly so that’s what was causing all the racket I heard.

Then I installed a new blower motor and set the hinge back in place. Even with the difficult access, the job only takes a couple of hours or so.

Name:  100_5679 15pct.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  81.5 KB

PROBLEM 13: The two barbs on the vacuum reservoir have nothing connected to them.
SOLUTION: I installed a new vacuum supply hose from the reservoir to a spare port on an existing intake manifold tree. I connected a loose hose I found that supplies vacuum to the CU in the cab.

Name:  100_5725 15pct.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  77.3 KB
This little schematic in the Service Manual
is quite useful for checking out the vacuum controls.

PROBLEM 14: There are two unconnected vacuum hoses near the heater/AC housing.
SOLUTION: I connected one of them to the vacuum reservoir (Problem 13). I connected the other one to the water valve. I had to lengthen this hose with a new piece of hose and a connector because it wouldn’t reach.

PROBLEM 15: The water valve is missing
SOLUTION: I obtained and installed a new water valve
Name:  100_5713 15pct.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  90.1 KB
I left a lot of excess vacuum line coiled up for now.

PROBLEM 16: There is no port available on the intake manifold to connect the heater hose.
SOLUTION: I changed the location of the temperature sending unit from the intake manifold to the cylinder head (see TEMPERATURE SENDER REVISITED, below). I then installed a pipe nipple and connected the heater hose where the temperature sender used to be. I had to reroute the fuel line a little.

Name:  100_5715 15pct.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  85.3 KB

PROBLEM 17: I can’t seem to stop buying parts and fixing stuff on this truck.
SOLUTION: I’ll make everything perfect so it will never need another thing.

It took me a while to get there, but once everything was fixed and back in place and I set it to heat … Voila ! I got HEAT ! (I could say this is a very cool thing to have but that would be contradictory).

Brass el fitting…….....……….………$....8.69
Heater hose……………….......………..…10.63
Water valve……………….……….......….25.81
Outlets lever…………………….........……9.83
1895 lamps……………………….........……4.34
Blower motor, hoses, fittings……..…40.32
Hose fittings……………….…….......…….4.92
Spring for cowl door…………….....……1.67
Plastic epoxy…………………….......…….9.68
AC duct hoses………………….......……61.00

Total…………………........…………….$.176.89

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911