View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #264
bollybib

Re: Jim's 1969 Custom/20

FUEL LINE (3 of 6)

The next thing I did was fabricate the bracket. I used a piece of ¼” thick aluminum I had on hand. I’d rather use steel but I don’t have metal working tools that cut and drill hard materials well. With the aluminum, I was able to use a metal cutting blade in my jigsaw to shape it according to my wood template and use my small bench drill press to make the holes, no problem. After the bracket was complete, I mounted the regulator.

Name:  100_7364 30pct.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  18.5 KB
Regulator with inlet tubing connected. A short stub
on the outlet was used as an aid in determining offset
bend points on the other section of tubing.

Name:  100_7369 30pct.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  23.6 KB
Another view of same.

With a tube nut screwed into an inverted flare adapter fitting, I had a reference point from which to precisely locate the tube ends. With a lot of check, double check, and triple checking, I made the final bends and flares. Both sections fit well and thankfully I didn’t have to redo anything. The tube ends fit up real nice and I didn’t have to force anything to get the tube nuts to engage and tighten properly. I had a few minor leaks when I first cranked the engine, but a little snug up on the tube nuts and they went away.

Name:  100_7372 30pct.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  95.5 KB
The two completed tubing sections.
Top: Regulator to filter/inlet housing
Bottom: Pump to regulator

When I was preparing to make the offset bend at the regulator end of the upper tubing, I discovered an error in the instructions for using the bender. By following their instructions, I was unable to bend a 45 degree offset to the required offset dimension. After some research, I found that their rule of thumb was for a 30 degree offset bend, not a 45 as indicated in the instruction sheet. I added a note with the proper multipliers for future reference.

Name:  100_7526 30pct.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  22.8 KB

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911