View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 01:50 AM   #232
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

You can do the conversion that way if you like, but it is definitely easier without an engine in place. You will have to drill one hole on each side, and elongate one hole on each side. This is a quick and easy way to do the conversion, if rebuilding toe entire front suspension in not necessary or not in the budget currently.

The disc brake upgrade can also be done by removing everything from the donor crossmember and bolting up to your existing crossmember. The later model lower control arm shaft U-bolts are larger diameter than the early ones. I recommend drilling out your crossmember and using the larger diameter U-bolts. You can also keep your existing control arms, and just change the ball joints and add the spindles, rotors, calipers, etc.

You can use the aftermarket 6 lug rotors, as long as you have the HD spindles with the 1.250" thick rotors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy_texan View Post
so in a nutshell i can just pull the entire crossmember out of a 73-87 and bolt it in my 65 with maybe a few holes drilled, then if i want to keep the 6 lugs just order new rotors and call it good? cause that sounds like the easiest, fastest and cheapest route for me.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE