View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #163
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: 1988 Suburban "V Rig" Gets Cummins Power

I made big progress on this this weekend. I got it running and moved outside and then the trouble started. It was icy-er than crap out, I can't get good fluid pressure to the rear brakes, so it only has front brakes. The trans was going crazy in drive, and the truck would push through the brakes and it would just slide out. I left it outside and thought I was going to have to remove the trans. Well after thinking on the couch last night, I figured I'd trouble shoot it first. This morning I went out and crawled under it and unhooked the valve body sol connector. I started it up and let it warm up.

The oil pressure gauge is working. When the engine temp got to 140* the oil started warming up and the oil pressure was down to 50psi. That gauge is hating life.

Last night the alternator wasn't charging, that was a simple fix. When I was tying up wires and such I must have pulled the connector part way out. I plugged it back in and now it charges. Imagine that.

Next issue, the idle is too high. I'd just adjust it down, but since the adjustment screw is under the head, I get to loosen the injection pump all back up and adjust the idle, then put it all back together.

I found out the problem to the trans too. Last night it was making a weird noise, and on top of the pulling issue, I was real leery. Come to find out, the over drive and lock up circuits were complete and the trans was just trying to do its job. Plus the trans was low on fluid, that was my noise. I forgot you have to check these in neutral, not park.

I need to modify my shift linkage setup. When the shift lever is in 2ND, the trans is in drive. I'm going to shorten and change the angle on the column rod's lever and hope that fixes it.

I need to recheck toe and set it too. Problem there is the clamp bolts don't want to turn in the nuts, so I need to replace those so they aren't a PITA! Over all, it's very, very close. The heat works awesome, stock gauges all work, even the horn works.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote