Thread: sbc 408 build
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: sbc 408 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77customdeluxe View Post
I told comp my setup and they recommend a xr276hr cam. I'm thinking maybe just save little more money and put 700r4 with 3:73 gears in it. Its getting dished pistons. now at 75mph it spins about 2400-2500> Houghes torque converter recommended the 2000 stall.
This is EXACTLY why the ricer moron desk jockeys at Comp and Lunati are DESK JOCKEYS and not engine builders!!!

I can not find the exact one for retro fit kit for your block, but the cam timing is the same save the intake centline variation..

What's the description say??

Quote:
2000+ stall, gears, choppy idle.
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...?csid=188&sb=2

OK so Comp's spec sheet wants 2000+ stall,, and gears ...

What in that sounds like it matches your current combination of 3.08 gears and 33" tires... in a 4500+ pound 4WD truck. I am always astounded why industry puts minimum wage ricer or off-shore tech help morons on the desk to recomend parts.

With that tall of a tire you do not need the OD of a 700R. Your 75mph rpm w/ a R4 and 3.73 gears with the 33" tire would only be 1990rpm with the .7 final drive of a 700R. You'd be worse off than you are now except for the deep 3.06 first gear,,, but with 33's it will still be a wounded duck.

I run a 33" tall slick on the back of my 66,, with a 4.30 gear right now,, it's very 'street happy' there but I really don't care to burn the fuel to go play in the freeway (this motor is not intended for that). But when it was under 500HP I was running a 5.43 gear with those 33" tires.... roughly 2500rpm @ 45mph. I was BARELY into the power band of a Crane hydraulic roller that was only 8° more 0.050" timing than your looking at there with that XE274.

Sorry, [RANT OFF/]

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote