View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #110
Mustard72

Re: 72 C20 "Old Mustard"

I thought the rocker was going to fit really well because it fit good when test fitting it for the a-pillar patch job. Unfortunately, once I put the door on to test fit, the rocker required a bunch of hammering on the ends to let the door open and close properly. Ended up making relief cuts on both ends to get it to overlap itself so I could get the right shape (or at least right enough). Had to pound down the curve at the back of the rocker where it goes up to the b-pillar quite a bit, and pound down the whole front of the rocker, too. This ended up pulling the top of the rocker towards the outside of the cab probably a half inch, which required still more beating with the hammer to get the surface to match the pillars at the front and back of the rocker. But, its steel, and fortunately it bends pretty nicely.

Plug welded the top of the rocker, along with the edge welding. Tried plug welding the bottom flange of the rocker again, but like the driver side, I had trouble with burn through due to not getting the outer rocker flange in contact with the inner rocker, even though I sheet metal screwed the gee whiz out of it. Still not sure what I'm doing wrong here, but I just pounded and clamped the lip of the outer rocker over the bottom of the inner rocker and welded it up from under the cab. Just like the driver side. Last pic shows the welds from under the cab. The shadows in the pic make it look like there's lots of burn through, but these welds are actually really good...better than most of the ones I'll have to see all the time from the top...

I am now officially out of patch panels to be welded onto the truck. Granted, the doors, fenders, inner fenders, and bed still not much attention. but I don't have any patches for them yet. Might be switching to Tabco for those patch panels. I've heard good things, and they are American made.
Attached Images

Old Mustard, 1972 Chevy C20, 350, TH350, 4.10 Dana 60 rear, owned since I was 16 in 1986
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545356

Blue Bell, 1987 K20, 6.2L Diesel, TH400/NP208, 4.10 gears

Ustahav 1976 K10, 350/350/203, Gov Loc, Yooper beater trail truck.
Mustard72 is offline   Reply With Quote