View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #65
Shaun1162

Re: Late 60's Vintage Modified Race Car

Classes were canceled today due to the "blizzard" so I had some time to spend on the car...

Been wanting to get back to the grill and finish that up.

Here's the old "grill" that was on the car... Made out of 1x2 thin wall box, some mesh, and window screening. While it was functional, I had to change it.

When I put the motor in for the first time I did it from the side so it wasn't much of an issue... But when I used a regular engine crane, this welded grill sort of got in the way. So I cut it off, started making a new one, but never got around to it until today.

I've made brackets to bolt to the angle iron that supports the radiator and shock mounts, and was originally going to bolt the mesh to it. Better after playing around with a bunch of ideas on how to make that look good, I abandoned the idea of bolting the mesh to the brackets. So instead I added two side pieces and welded the wesh all the way around.

Still got some work to do (grinding, weld the holes I drilled, etc) but I think it'll look pretty good once it's done. It'll make pulling the motor easier, but I still kept the original mesh and look of the first one. I think the mesh is made out of good stainless steel... It doesn't rust, it's not magnetic, but I can weld to it with regular welding wire. Incredibly strong too...

Also a quick picture of it's new shoes on the back, just some Sears 6.50x16. Not sure what size to go with on the front yet, but I really need to find another pair of wide 5's and some tires... Would like a small tire, maybe 5.00x16? All I know if having a huge RF and a tiny 13" on the LF really makes things look goofy...

- 1933 Ford Stock Car
Shaun1162 is offline   Reply With Quote