View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #48
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

Re: C notched and dropped???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
My CNotch has 17 grade 8 bolts in it. It is plated on all 4 sides, and bolted on 3. IMO, it's stronger now than before it was cut. Just sayin .. With the right parts, I think it actually gives it strength. I havent regretted mine for a minute.. it's your truck, I say it's your decision.
I have done tons of reading and digging through the internet since starting this thread and I have found several things that I did not know.
As a car and truck builder/fabricator I am always interested in what is going on in the hobby.
1- To get the kind of ride height that many builders are going for, a simple "C-notch" doesn't come close to giving the builder enough clearance for them to "lay frame".

2- The tire wheel combinations used by some builders not only require the rear frame to be altered, they also require a pretty expensive "drop member" and front suspension to "lay out" the front end.

3-The inner wheel wells become useless and need to be highly modified to be used at all. I have seen trucks that the tires are an inch away from the hood.

4-After rereading my #1 post in this thread, I can see that I come off pretty arrogant and abrasive..
Sorry about that
Not my intension at all, I was simply trying to find out how the frame alterations being done, are being done and making the statement that a few that I have seen look pretty unsafe.... That is not to say all are, just some that I have seen.

I am still not into the big wheel look on the 60-66 trucks and the cool thing is I don't need to be..
I do respect what others do to their trucks and hope they respect what I do with mine.
Just setting the record straight.
Also, for anyone who might care. I have been working on a hidden roll cage for my pro-street truck, that incorporates an altered rear frame with a cage in the bed under a fiberglass bed cover and a roll cage in the cab that does not have the support links that go from the main hoop back to the frame.
What I have been designing could be used to reinforce the rear frame AND supply a platform for a raised bed floor.
I definately don't want that 4X4 roll bar look so that is why I have gone to such great trouble to develope something and also a reason I was/am interested in how builders are nothching frames..

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote