View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
olblue1970

Ol' Blue 1970 - Rear Bumper Painted

After my initial success with the front bumper, I decided to try to help out the rear bumper. Well, let's just say the rear bumper wasn't as cooperative. It took three attempts before I got it right. The problem was the rust was much more invasive. I learned quickly if you don't get all the rust out, it will simply reemerge again through the new paint.

I stumbled upon something to help out with the rust problem. It is called RustMort. There are many products like it on the market that do the same thing. It neutralizes the rust and turns the metal into a surface ready for priming. After I applied that to the bumper, that fixed the problem and the result was quite sharp.

Although the bumper was damaged at some point in the past by a previous owner, I've decided to keep it for now. It's amazing how, even though it's a little banged up, it looks a hundred times better with the rust gone and a fresh coat of paint.

Oh, one other thing of interest was the number of bumper stickers on the truck. Removing them was interesting to say the least. Sometimes, they were two or three different stickers on top of each other. One I removed was an Indianapolis Colts sticker. The previous owner was from Virginia, but I wonder if the truck was previously in Indiana at some point in its life? It's like doing archeological work sometimes.
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=566713
olblue1970 is offline   Reply With Quote