View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #134
Lugnutz65

Re: Complete T5 swap thread - one way to skin the cat

Just to add to the story - not to beat a dead horse.
The tranny I pulled had a readable sticker with bar code on top (covered with grease) as well as a readable tag (after I soaked it in naval jelly) that matched. I'm as sure as anyone can be that it was an unmolested tranny.

I am convinced that the charts on the various websites are NOT reliable - as has already been stated.

I've talked to a lot of people selling T5s. They all tell me that the one they are selling has such and such gears "because I looked it up on the internet". Maybe the charts are 99% accurate, or maybe only 60%, who knows?

As for me, I will NOT believe any info about the internal gears in a T5 UNLESS I have turned the shafts myself and/or inspected the inside. How many people selling a T5 will let you open it and inspect? (a retorical question)
It makes buying a T5 a rather big step of faith unless you turn the shafts and count the turns yourself.

I might sound angry, but I'm not. I'm just waving the flag so people pay attention. People are basically honest, but honest sellers are unknowingly relying on the internet charts to figure out what gears their tranny has. Then honest buyers are using the same internet info to verify the seller's info. We all have to be more careful.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote