View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #26
WadmalawJoe

Re: HEI distributor tuning problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn 70 View Post
This is weird....Usually detonation INCREASES with increased engine temp. Yours seems to be going against that.

Most people install colder heat range plugs in mildly built engines is to alleviate detonation caused by increased head temperatures. I have colder plugs in the Olds engine in my truck and that has helped me get rid of ping.

I have a Skip White 6503 on the Olds. I haven't had pinging problems with it either. That distributor has performed well for me.

Could you be running too lean while cold and when it warms up all is good? Like the heat riser isn't there/working or the choke pulls off too soon?

Please post the solution to the issue when you find it.....I gotta know.
Maybe it is to lean when its cold, but my choke is a manual and I probably tend to leave it on longer than I need to, just to help warm up the motor. In the morning especially, I let it run a few minutes before heading out.

[QUOTE=cdowns;5933044]big difference in quality from something like a shippy chinese and a real quality unit like msd pertronix
I hear ya, I was extremely hesitant about buying it, I asked around on here and no one had a problem with theirs. Maybe, I should swap it out for another just to see if its a bad distributor. I will have to say I was surprised at the actual quality of it. Looking it over carefully, it looks pretty good, metal and plastic parts are all pretty solid, not super thin or cheap feeling.

After bouncing PM's back and forth with CB1987, I'm leaning towards a vacuum issue. I need to research my carb and make sure I'm on the right port or maybe switch to a port on the intake manifold or something.
It's been a busy week and I haven't had time to mess with it unfortunately. I drove it almost everyday for two weeks with it making the noise so I'm scared I might have damaged something or that it is damaging it. So I parked it for a few days until I can mess with it more.

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I’m back!!!
WadmalawJoe is offline   Reply With Quote