View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #47
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Re: First Time Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett View Post
Also, I know where you're coming from and agree wasted income, but I believe thotfulspot was just talking about a new block and not brand new everything.
I understand that, however as someone who's been down the road a few times, it is always cheaper and less headache to start with a complete junkyard engine. That's why guys preach it so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett View Post
Are the LS's really so reliable that I shouldn't be that worried unless something very obvious appears wrong?
Yes. Absolutely. I have bought and swapped 5 junkyard LS engines. As long as it was running fine when pulled, turns over fine, and has compression....it will run.

The first 5.3 I swapped sat in a barn for 5 years before I bought it. I did not take it apart after I got it...I simply stabbed it in the truck, and it fired up on the first shot. That same motor held up to a couple years of nitrous abuse with 150 hp hits, and then a few years of turbo abuse before it finally lifted the heads at the track (got greedy with the boost and timing with stock head bolts and graphite head gaskets). Still pushed my barge into the 11s with a hurt motor. That made a believer out of me.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote