View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #59
WadmalawJoe

Re: HEI distributor tuning problem

[quote=LONGHAIR;5950317]How much vacuum does your engine make? At idle? At the pinging point?
It seems like there is still too much vacuum advance at that rpm.

I have a vacuum pump, but not a vacuum gauge.... its on the list...
I might could use the gauge on the vacuum pump somehow, I will look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formikaus View Post
Sorry to hear all the problems you are having. When i put my Accel billiet HEI with a supercoil cap in, I did not use the vacuum advance. I just left it capped off out of the box. I did still have some pinging at the same speed range ONCE THEY STARTED ADDING ETHANOL!!!!! I started putting in 93 and it quit. With it capped off I did still get around 18 mpg's, but I am running a stock cam, 700R4, and 308 gears. Like I have said before, I feel for you. A engine noise is as bad as door glass without weatherstripping....it will drive you crazy! Lol.
18 mpg!!!! nice, this isn't downhill is it? ...lol

Nobody in town has a adjustable vacuum can with a limiter plate, so I would either have to order one or take it out of the mechanical advance.
I read some about making one, I have three vacuum cans to use, so I might try that.

Thank you everyone and I will update with more info asap.

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I’m back!!!
WadmalawJoe is offline   Reply With Quote