View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #31
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: The Official John Lee Jr Thread

Well, initial work completed. Enough to take John Lee Jr out for a 20 minute ride around the neighborhood on round wheels. Wow is the word. Very much different, in a good way, than drivin Ol John Lee.

Steering is light as a feather and very light manuvering parking lots. Enough that I got out a second time and checked to see if it had a power steering pump. Up to 30 mph or so it does not track ruts and grooves. I need a back road run after tags and insurance to really vet the suspension out. Breaks are firm and fast but with a pull right so the fronts need adjusted. Fan belt is a bit winey, sounds like a turbo spooling up and down so I wont fix that for now...its kinda cool. Shift points are much higher than the 283, this 230 is quite strong and winds out smoothly. We did several hill pulls from under 5 mph to 35 mph at the top of steep hills useing second gear only....down the steeps engine brakeing in second and there were no thumps or knocks/rattles in the engine. The Rochester Mod B carb did not puke any fuel this trip. The brake drums are original, at least on the front as they are still rivited to the hubs so I grabbed the new drums off Ol John Lee for a transfer on brake inspection and adjustment this weekend. Shifts are smooth and the clutch engages at the floor in the first third of the stroke. Radiator cap is 7 lbs so we'll change that to 13 lbs when adding the overflow this weekend. Start up cold is lightning fast and the throttle actually throttles....thats a nice switch. Heater works but I suspect like Ol John Lee it needs replaced or at least flushed as its not real warm air...but enough to clear the fog on a damp day. Drivers window jumped the rubber gripper thingie at the bottom so gotta leave it up for now and get in there with a new rubber strip to clamp it tight. Got a couple light issues, fixed one with a kiss of sand paper to estabilish a new ground and I have three out of 4 turn signals. So, overall, not bad after an 18 year sit. Just waiting on the mandatory NC No Flood Vehicle declaration from the prior owners and I can tag it...it was damn tempting to hit the main road and open it up, even w/o tags on it. But, I behaved myself. Tags and registration and insurance first. Then we'll take it out and row it all over the Sandhills.

Installed Ol John Lees wheels and tires for now. Also transfered over his chrome gas cap, black mirror and the drivers side sun visor.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sharps40; 06-28-2014 at 06:05 PM.