View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #12
mrein3

Re: Factory A/C vs Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherandSon View Post
Thanks to all for the feedback/info. The pro6ten compressor sounds like a good tip. I've only had the truck about 18 mos so I don't know how long the A/C has been inop but I suspect some of the parts will need replacing. I guess I'll do a detailed cost comparison after I determine which parts need replacing. Are the OEM parts compatible with R134? If not which do I need to replace to be compatible?
I think you will be WAY cheaper rebuilding the stock system. I did a write up a while ago on here for converting a non-AC truck to an AC truck. Even then it is cheaper to use stock pieces.

Regarding old, stock AC compressors I must be lucky. I'm running three of them that are all 40+ years old and all working fine with no leaks. The one in my truck had 10 years off sitting on a shelf in my shop but the Chevelle ones have been in operation since the general put them on in 1971 and 1972.

Because you aren't converting a non-AC truck you won't need to do all the things I had to but I did replace a lot of the stock parts I got off a junker AC truck with new parts that are supposedly able to handle R134a. I've read that your stock AC hoses won't contain R134a. I wasn't sure so I just bought new.
Click over to:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478564
and scroll down to post #8. There I have a detailed list of parts you'll need to convert to R134a.
You'll want the new suction and discharge hose, expansion valve to drier hose, o-ring kit, R134a compatible oil, o-ring/thread sealer, and you MUST buy a new receiver/dryer. Before you faint that is less than $200 worth of parts.
I'm not convinced I needed a new expansion valve but they are only $17.

The next time I open the system up I'm going to buy a newer condenser made to work with R134a. The R12 one on your truck works but a newer one will work better which will lead to colder temps coming out of the system in the cab.

The link in post #4 in my write-up used to be a real nice, detailed procedure with pictures on how to adjust your POA to work with R134a. That link broke some time since I posted the how-to. Go to that autoacforum and type "POA convert R12 to R134a" in the search. Lots of posts there deal with adjusting your POA to work with R134a. When it gets warmer out I should re-create that procedure and post it on this forum so it doesn't get lost. It is real easy to do and without the adjustment your AC won't cool as well with R134a as it would with the stock (R12) setting.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote